Despite a bizarre group of nominees (especially on the comedy/drama side of things), I felt the Golden Globes did an admirable job of confirming the front-runners in all of the major categories, including pushing The Social Network to the front of the pack for Best Picture.
Some stray observations:
- I really like Ricky Gervais as host. Definitely doesn’t hold back, even if his jokes about stars are a little on the predictable side.
- Is Melissa Leo now the front-runner for Best Supporting Actress? No doubt her performance is great, but I was actually expecting a win for Helena Bonham Carter.
- I think Social Network is a lock for Best Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars.
- Can’t comment too much on the TV side of things, but I was not surprised by Boardwalk Empire taking that many awards, the HFPA loves HBO.
- However, Glee winning best comedy series is absolute crap.
- My prediction for Best Actor nominees: Colin Firth, Jesse Eisenberg, James Franco, Paul Giamatti, and either Robert Duvall or Jeff Bridges.
What are your thoughts on last night’s awards? Surprises? Dresses?